ASL101 BASIC ARABIC LANGUAGE
This course is an introduction to the Arabic language. It covers basic Arabic reading and writing. Topics include the Arabic alphabets, consonants, vowels, and phonics. Fundamentals on the dotting system, vowel signs and other diacritics will also be covered in this course.Course Code: ASL101
Credit hours: 2
- Master the Arabic alphabet and sound system, be able to distinguish and pronounce all Arabic letter sounds, and write them accurately from dictation.
- Differentiate through reading and writing, between the different types of letters in the Arabic alphabet: Single letters, Dual letters, Separate letters, Vowel letters, Double vowel letters, Small vowel letters, Long vowel letters, Non vowel letters, Double letters (stressed)
- Expand Arabic vocabulary of more than 100 basic and active words, and be able to use them in simple sentences orally and written, using basic functional grammatical patterns and functions.
- Write a simple paragraph about themselves.
- Engage in simple dialogue by initiating a social interaction: greeting, introduce themselves, ask and answer 2-3 simple questions.
- Note some of the basic differences between formal and spoken Arabic.
- Read the Quran with an improved understanding and appreciation of its meaning.
- Single letters
- Dual letters
- Separate letters
- Vowel-ed letters
- Double vowel-ed letters
- Small vowel-ed letters
- Long vowel-ed letters
- Non vowel-ed letters
- Double letters (stressed)
Alif Baa – Introduction to Arabic Letters and Sounds, 3rd Edition
Grading and Evaluation:
- Minimum passing grade 70%
- Weekly Assignments 25% (10 assignments, 2.5% each)
- Participation/Attendance 10%
- Mid-term Exam 15%
- Final Exam 25%
- Oral Exam 25%
- If sending emails directly to the lecturer, please include appropriate label in the subject line (Action Required/Info/Admin) and allow up to 3 working days for reply.
- Limit telephone communication with the Instructor to the office hours only.
- When leaving a voicemail, please clearly state your name, course code, and contact number.
Log in Instructions:
To attend live – online lectures (on their scheduled time):
Access the course on-line by logging into Online School, accessible from.
You will need a user name and password to:
- View the recorded lectures if you missed the live online ones.
- Interact with your teacher and classmates.
- Upload and submit your assignments, research papers, and exams.
- View your grades.
- All attempt must be made to submit assignments by the agreed due dates. Late submissions will be penalized.
- Your work will be checked and graded on weekly basis, in sha Allah.
Guidance College shall be one of the top well-recognized universities in the United States that offers graduate and undergraduate degrees in specialized Islamic fields aiming at preparing moral and well-knowledgeable leaders who provide research-based Islamic alternatives that enable the Muslims to contribute to the success of their country.
Guidance College is the place where students gain their undergraduate degrees in authentic and professional specialized Islamic knowledge that recognizes modern-time realities and allows them to examine different branches of knowledge from an authentic Islamic perspective which enables them to think ethically, logically, analytically, and critically while making responsible and moral decisions aiming at improving the quality of life for all inhabitants of the earth with a full understanding and appreciation of the cultural and human differences.