GEN204 SELF-DEVELOPMENT (TAZKIAH)
This course focuses on self development. Students learn the importance of purifying the soul, softening the heart, strengthening the relationship between the servant and his Lord, and increasing one’s faith. It encourages students to examine and appreciate the deep meanings behind acts of worship, learn how to transform worldly acts into acts of worship, acknowledge the magnitude of good character in being a pious Muslim, and master the etiquette of remembering Allah SWT and attaining His pleasure.
Course Code: GEN204
Credit hours: 3
- Explain why self-development is important, the role of self-evaluation in the journey towards self-improvement, using textual evidences from the Quran and Sunnah.
- Write a short essay explaining the interaction between the Rooh (soul), Qalb (heart) and Nafs (self), the different types of hearts and types of nafs, how it relates to their Iman (faith), what causes it to corrupt, and the consequences of sin.
- Give examples of the flesh hadith, using traps of Shaytan and diseases of the heart such as: including anger, backbiting, slander, tale carrying, jealousy, envy, lying, riya, love of this world, miserliness, greed, hatred.
- List, with examples of each, the different remedies of sick hearts and weak Iman, including knowledge, tawbah (repentance), Dhikr (remembrance), mujahadah (struggling against the nafs), muraqabah (vigilant watchfulness of the heart), khalwah (solitude), tadabbur (reflection), and Duaa .
- Analyze case study problems, noting their causes and solutions.
- In an effort to improve their relationship with their Creator, maximize their benefit from acts of worship and obedience, and improve their dealings with themselves and others, students will start a journal and develop a self-improvement plan, analyzing their strengths/weaknesses, set ambitious goals, and monitor their progress.
- The Nature of Intention
- Types of Heart
- Symptoms of the Heart’s Sickness and Signs of its Health
- The Four Poisons of the Heart
- Remembrance of Allah and Recitation of the Qur’an
- Seeking Allah’s Forgiveness
- Invoking Blessings on the Prophet
- Praying at Night
- Doing Without the Pleasures of this World
- The States of the Self
- Complete Reliance on Allah
- Love of Allah
- Contentment with the Decree of Allah
- Hope in Allah
- Fear of Allah
- The Life of This World
Purification of the Soul by Ahmad Farid
Additional On-line Readings:
The links below are provided as a convenience for the students; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by Guidance College of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation or organization or individual. Guidance College has no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.
Grading and Evaluation:
- Minimum passing grade 70%
- Weekly Assignments: 30% (10 assignments, 3% each)
- Attendance: 10%
- Mid-Term exam: 10%
- Final exam: 10%
- Oral exam: 20%
- Research paper: 20%
Guidelines for Research Paper:
1- A part of the course requirements is to submit a research paper, except for certain courses.
2- The chosen topic must be relevant to the course and approved by the Instructor.
3- Joint project / research is allowed, up to 3 students, and upon the instructor’s approval.
4- The paper must meet the following requirements:
- Consider either MLA or APA guides for writing research papers
- Follow the standard research paper structure with a Table of Contents, Abstract or Executive Summary, Introduction, Main Body, Conclusion, List of Reference
- The Main Body should be organized into logical chapters and paragraphs
- When quoting Hadeeth, a notation indicating its authenticity must be clearly
E-Library: Please log in with your user ID & password
- If sending emails directly to the Instructor, please include appropriate label in the subject line (Action Required/Info/Admin) and allow up to 3 working days for reply.
- Limit telephone communication with the Instructor to the office hours only.
- When leaving a voicemail, please clearly state your name, course code, and contact number.
Log in Instructions:
To attend live – online lectures (on their scheduled time):
Access the course on-line by logging into Online School, accessible from
You will need a user name and password to:
- View the recorded lectures if you missed the live online ones.
- Interact with your teacher and classmates.
- Upload and submit your assignments, research papers, and exams.
- View your grades.
- All attempt must be made to submit assignments by the agreed due dates. Late submissions will be penalized.
- Your work will be checked and graded on weekly basis, in sha Allah.
Guidance College shall be one of the top well-recognized universities in the United States that offers graduate and undergraduate degrees in specialized Islamic fields aiming at preparing moral and well-knowledgeable leaders who provide research-based Islamic alternatives that enable the Muslims to contribute to the success of their country.
Guidance College is the place where students gain their undergraduate degrees in authentic and professional specialized Islamic knowledge that recognizes modern-time realities and allows them to examine different branches of knowledge from an authentic Islamic perspective which enables them to think ethically, logically, analytically, and critically while making responsible and moral decisions aiming at improving the quality of life for all inhabitants of the earth with a full understanding and appreciation of the cultural and human differences.