GEN205 ISLAMIC HISTORY
Guidance College shall be one of the top well-recognized universities in the United States that offers graduate and undergraduate degrees in specialized Islamic fields aiming at preparing leaders for the righteous people.
Guidance College is the place where students gain their graduate and undergraduate degrees in authentic and professional specialized Islamic knowledge that recognizes modern-time realities and allows them to examine different branches of knowledge from an authentic Islamic perspective which enables them to think ethically, logically, analytically, and critically while making responsible and moral decisions aiming at improving the quality of life for all inhabitants of the earth with a full understanding and appreciation of the cultural and human differences.
A comprehensive look at the history of the Islamic State after the death of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) until the beginning of the Umayyad’s era. This covers the time of the four righteous caliphs; Abu Bakr, Omar, Othman, and Ali. Their contribution toward the development of the Muslim State and the civil war between Ali and Mua’weyah (may Allah be pleased with them both) will be covered.
Course Code: GEN205
Credit hours: 3
- Students will be able to write an essay explaining the religious, political, social and economic history of the Muslim societies from the rise of Islam, after the death of the Prophet, and up to the time of the four righteous caliphs.
- Students will make a video or power point presentation on the contributions and impact the four righteous caliphs made toward the development of the Muslim state, including the civil war between Ali and Mua’weyah (may Allah be pleased with them both)
- Students will be able to appreciate and list the efforts made by the righteous caliphs to preserve Islam and keep Muslims always on track and assess their efforts in today’s society.
- Students will be able to appreciate and cite examples of how diversity in opinion was tolerated during the time of the righteous caliphs.
History of the Caliphs by Jalauddin Al-Suyuti
Additional On-line Readings:
Biographies of the Rightly Guided Caliphs
Grading and Evaluation:
- Minimum passing grade 70%
- Weekly Assignments: 30% (10 assignments, 3% each)
- Attendance: 10%
- Mid-Term exam: 10%
- Final exam: 10%
- Oral exam: 20%
- Research paper: 20%
Guidelines for Research Paper:
1- A part of the course requirements is to submit a research paper, except for certain courses.
2- The chosen topic must be relevant to the course and approved by the Instructor.
3- Joint project / research is allowed, up to 3 students, and upon the instructor’s approval.
4- The paper must meet the following requirements:
- Consider either MLA or APA guides for writing research papers
- Follow the standard research paper structure with a Table of Contents, Abstract or Executive Summary, Introduction, Main Body, Conclusion, List of Reference
- The Main Body should be organized into logical chapters and paragraphs
- When quoting Hadeeth, a notation indicating its authenticity must be clearly
E-Library: Please log in with your user ID & password
- If sending emails directly to the Instructor, please include appropriate label in the subject line (Action Required/Info/Admin) and allow up to 3 working days for reply.
- Limit telephone communication with the Instructor to the office hours only.
- When leaving a voicemail, please clearly state your name, course code, and contact number.
Log in Instructions:
To attend live – online lectures (on their scheduled time):
Access the course on-line by logging into Online School, accessible from
You will need a user name and password to:
- View the recorded lectures if you missed the live online ones.
- Interact with your teacher and classmates.
- Upload and submit your assignments, research papers, and exams.
- View your grades.
- All attempt must be made to submit assignments by the agreed due dates. Late submissions will be penalized.
- Your work will be checked and graded on weekly basis, in sha Allah.