GEN301 RAISING CHILDREN IN THE AMERICAN SOCIETY
Guidance College shall be one of the top well-recognized universities in the United States that offers graduate and undergraduate degrees in specialized Islamic fields aiming at preparing leaders for the righteous people.
Guidance College is the place where students gain their graduate and undergraduate degrees in authentic and professional specialized Islamic knowledge that recognizes modern-time realities and allows them to examine different branches of knowledge from an authentic Islamic perspective which enables them to think ethically, logically, analytically, and critically while making responsible and moral decisions aiming at improving the quality of life for all inhabitants of the earth with a full understanding and appreciation of the cultural and human differences.
This course focuses on the challenges that practicing Muslims are facing when raising their children according to the Islamic principles. Challenges could be peer pressure, differences between cultural and religious practices, legal restriction in using physical discipline, level of comprehension of societal and cultural impact on Muslim children and youth, public school system in particular. The course also analyzes the three different models parents choose for themselves and for children- as far as interacting with the society at large is concerned-; assimilation, integration, and isolation. Different techniques and remedies in disciplining children will be discussed as well.
Course Code: GEN301
Credit hours: 3
- To introduce the proper Islamic understanding of the approach and objectives of TARBIYAH (self-development)
- To present Islamic basis for this approach.
- To provide parents and guardians with proper Islamic methods and understanding to ensure the success of the TARBIYAH process in the western environment
- To elevate parents’ level of awareness of serious effects of the environment on the child’s personality.
1. Principles of Tarbiyah (Nurturing)
- Proper understanding of child psychology
- Role of the family in the life of a child
- How to deal with the children at home and outside of the home
- Growing up is a process
- Clear communication and expression of feelings
- Correcting behavior and assisting in skill development
- Emotional Intelligence, i.e. understanding your feelings and your child’s feelings
- Description of the Environment
- Its importance in the life of individuals
- Environment causes external pressures on the child and the family
- Parents’ role in insuring a proper environment
- Create a support system
- Other support systems and mechanisms
3. Methods of Tarbiyah
- Children do what they see others do Not what ….
- Nurturing the child through exhortation, admonition, and kind advice
- Nurturing the child by examples of leadership
- Nurturing the child through disciplinary measures
- Nurturing the child by building positive habits (habituation)
- Nurturing the child by using time properly
- Nurturing the child in times of special events
4. Case Studies
- Analysis of different situations, events, and occurrences in the life of a child
- Parents reaction vs. child’s reaction
“Meeting the Challenge of Parenting in the West: An Islamic Perspective.” By Ekram Beshir, M.D.; Mohamed Rida Beshir.
Other reading assignments will be from articles or news about current issues facing American teens and children, as well as worldwide events related to the youth.
Grading and Evaluation:
- Minimum passing grade 70%
- Weekly Assignments: 30% (10 assignments, 3% each)
- Attendance: 10%
- Mid-Term exam: 10%
- Final exam: 10%
- Oral exam: 20%
- Research paper: 20%
Guidelines for Research Paper:
1- A part of the course requirements is to submit a research paper, except for certain courses.
2- The chosen topic must be relevant to the course and approved by the Instructor.
3- Joint project / research is allowed, up to 3 students, and upon the instructor’s approval.
4- The paper must meet the following requirements:
- Consider either MLA or APA guides for writing research papers
- Follow the standard research paper structure with a Table of Contents, Abstract or Executive Summary, Introduction, Main Body, Conclusion, List of Reference
- The Main Body should be organized into logical chapters and paragraphs
- When quoting Hadeeth, a notation indicating its authenticity must be clearly
E-Library: Please log in with your user ID & password
- If sending emails directly to the Instructor, please include appropriate label in the subject line (Action Required/Info/Admin) and allow up to 3 working days for reply.
- Limit telephone communication with the Instructor to the office hours only.
- When leaving a voicemail, please clearly state your name, course code, and contact number.
Log in Instructions:
To attend live – online lectures (on their scheduled time):
Access the course on-line by logging into Online School, accessible from
You will need a user name and password to:
- View the recorded lectures if you missed the live online ones.
- Interact with your teacher and classmates.
- Upload and submit your assignments, research papers, and exams.
- View your grades.
- All attempt must be made to submit assignments by the agreed due dates. Late submissions will be penalized.
- Your work will be checked and graded on weekly basis, in sha Allah.