MAIE740 APPLICATION 2: PROJECT / THESIS
Project Design or Thesis writing provides the opportunity to develop a systematic understanding of key skills and concepts essential to effective project/thesis design. By examining the Project Cycle using real projects, students learn techniques and tools needs assessment, stakeholder analysis, strategic design, logical framework, monitoring and evaluation, proposal and report writing, budgeting – used in formulating and managing projects for desired impact, while gaining knowledge of and advancing actual project/thesis work. By course end, students will also be familiar with aid and development work, its language and terminology, and different project structures, implementation practices, and strategies to address potential conflicts and obstacles. In addition, one cannot exist in the local or international arena without addressing cultural sensitivity, ethics, and socio-cultural, political and economic dilemmas.
Course Code: MAIE740
Credit hours: 3
This course attempts to cover skills relevant and current in the local and international program scope of work. It is an introduction to the project/thesis design course that will move quickly. Hopefully, students will leave feeling to have broad knowledge of the different skills and strategies used in the local and international projects/thesis; perhaps not “expert” in any one skill (that could take an year), but feeling that students know the terminology and basic use of the skills to write a proposal for their thesis or project. Most sessions will begin with a lecture, but there will also be seminar discussion and activities to provide students with opportunities to practice and process what they learn.
1. Student will be able to conduct a basic needs assessment for a proposed project/thesis, including a stakeholder analysis
2. Student will be able to develop a logical framework
3. Student will be able to develop measurable indicators
4. Student will be able to have ability to insert Monitoring and Evaluation into a project/thesis
5. Student will be able to write a grant proposal
6. Student will be able to develop a project budget
Project Management by Adrienne Watt
Grading and Evaluation:
- Minimum passing grade 70%
- Weekly Assignments: 30% (10 assignments, 3% each)
- Attendance: 10%
- Mid-Term exam: 10%
- Final exam: 10%
- Oral exam: 20%
- Research paper: 20%
Guidelines for Research Paper:
1- A part of the course requirements is to submit a research paper, except for certain courses.
2- The chosen topic must be relevant to the course and approved by the Instructor.
3- Joint project / research is allowed, up to 3 students, and upon the instructor’s approval.
4- The paper must meet the following requirements:
- Consider either MLA or APA guides for writing research papers
- Follow the standard research paper structure with a Table of Contents, Abstract or Executive Summary, Introduction, Main Body, Conclusion, List of Reference
- The Main Body should be organized into logical chapters and paragraphs
- When quoting Hadeeth, a notation indicating its authenticity must be clearly
E-Library: Please log in with your user ID & password
- If sending emails directly to the Instructor, please include appropriate label in the subject line (Action Required/Info/Admin) and allow up to 3 working days for reply.
- Limit telephone communication with the Instructor to the office hours only.
- When leaving a voicemail, please clearly state your name, course code, and contact number.
Log in Instructions:
To attend live – online lectures (on their scheduled time):
Access the course on-line by logging into Online School, accessible from
You will need a user name and password to:
- View the recorded lectures if you missed the live online ones.
- Interact with your teacher and classmates.
- Upload and submit your assignments, research papers, and exams.
- View your grades.
- All attempt must be made to submit assignments by the agreed due dates. Late submissions will be penalized.
- Your work will be checked and graded on weekly basis, in sha Allah.
Guidance College shall be one of the top well-recognized universities in the United States that offers graduate and undergraduate degrees in specialized Islamic fields aiming at preparing moral and well-knowledgeable leaders who provide research-based Islamic alternatives that enable the Muslims to contribute to the success of their country.
Guidance College is the place where students gain their undergraduate degrees in authentic and professional specialized Islamic knowledge that recognizes modern-time realities and allows them to examine different branches of knowledge from an authentic Islamic perspective which enables them to think ethically, logically, analytically, and critically while making responsible and moral decisions aiming at improving the quality of life for all inhabitants of the earth with a full understanding and appreciation of the cultural and human differences.