FIQ231 MUSLIM FAMILY LAW 1 (MARRIAGE & DIVORCE)
This course gives a detailed study of muslim family law according to the mainstream Muslims (Ahlu Al-Sunnah) taken from the four major juristic schools. The course covers the pre-marital stage, weddings, rights and responsibilities of the spouses within a marriage, as well as divorce, alimony, and custody.
Course Code: FIQ231
Credit hours: 3
- Learn the general and specific concepts of marriage, its goals and benefits at the family and society level
- State the conditions of a valid marriage contract and the conditions of a valid divorce
- Write short essays defining the following, with related Fiqh rulings: marriage, divorce, Al-khula’ (compensated divorce), Al-iyla (unjustified refraining from having sexual relation with one’s wife), Al-thihar (inappropriate divorce), and Raja’h (taking one’s wife back after divorce), Lia’an (Termination of marriage based on accusation of infidelity), Iddah (waiting period after the end of the marriage contract), and foster relationships
- Students will be given a case study to analyze, will identify the pertinent problems regarding Islamic family law, and present to the class solutions based on related rulings
- Marriage contract.
- Foster Relationship.
- Raja’h (taking one’s wife back after divorce).
- EIla (unjustified refraining from having sexual relation with one’s wife).
- Khula’ (compensated divorce).
- Thihar (inappropriate divorce).
- Lia’an (Termination of marriage based on accusation of infidelity).
- Iddah (waiting period after the end of the marriage contract).
Fiqh of The Muslim Family by Sh. Hasan
Additional On-line Readings:
The links below are provided as a convenience for the students; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by Guidance College of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation or organization or individual. Guidance College has no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.
Grading and Evaluation:
- Minimum passing grade 70%
- Weekly Assignments: 30% (10 assignments, 3% each)
- Attendance: 10%
- Mid-Term exam: 10%
- Final exam: 10%
- Oral exam: 20%
- Research paper: 20%
Guidelines for Research Paper:
1- A part of the course requirements is to submit a research paper, except for certain courses.
2- The chosen topic must be relevant to the course and approved by the Instructor.
3- Joint project / research is allowed, up to 3 students, and upon the instructor’s approval.
4- The paper must meet the following requirements:
- Consider either MLA or APA guides for writing research papers
- Follow the standard research paper structure with a Table of Contents, Abstract or Executive Summary, Introduction, Main Body, Conclusion, List of Reference
- The Main Body should be organized into logical chapters and paragraphs
- When quoting Hadeeth, a notation indicating its authenticity must be clearly
E-Library: Please log in with your user ID & password
- If sending emails directly to the Instructor, please include appropriate label in the subject line (Action Required/Info/Admin) and allow up to 3 working days for reply.
- Limit telephone communication with the Instructor to the office hours only.
- When leaving a voicemail, please clearly state your name, course code, and contact number.
Log in Instructions:
To attend live – online lectures (on their scheduled time):
Access the course on-line by logging into Online School, accessible from
You will need a user name and password to:
- View the recorded lectures if you missed the live online ones.
- Interact with your teacher and classmates.
- Upload and submit your assignments, research papers, and exams.
- View your grades.
- All attempt must be made to submit assignments by the agreed due dates. Late submissions will be penalized.
- Your work will be checked and graded on weekly basis, in sha Allah.
Guidance College shall be one of the top well-recognized universities in the United States that offers graduate and undergraduate degrees in specialized Islamic fields aiming at preparing moral and well-knowledgeable leaders who provide research-based Islamic alternatives that enable the Muslims to contribute to the success of their country.
Guidance College is the place where students gain their undergraduate degrees in authentic and professional specialized Islamic knowledge that recognizes modern-time realities and allows them to examine different branches of knowledge from an authentic Islamic perspective which enables them to think ethically, logically, analytically, and critically while making responsible and moral decisions aiming at improving the quality of life for all inhabitants of the earth with a full understanding and appreciation of the cultural and human differences.