HAD101 INTRODUCTION TO SUNNAH
This course provides a basic understanding of the concept of Sunnah, or the Prophetic speeches, practice, and lifestyle which encompasses both the Prophetic sayings and traditions, placing the Sunnah in the proper perspective as a source of legislation. The course also provides an appreciation of the Sunnah as the driving force behind establishment of the Islamic civilization.</p<
Course Code: HAD101
Credit hours: 3
- Articulate the respective meanings and usages of Sunnah and Hadith, according to scholars of Fiqh, Aqeedah, Hadeeth, and Usoul (Foundation of Fiqh)
- Ability to explain the importance of the Sunnah as the second source of Sharia, and give proofs establishing its authority from Quranic texts and Prophetic statements.
- Provide examples and proofs on the importance of hadith in understanding the Quran.
- Analyze how the different roles of Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) indicate the necessity of following the Sunnah.
- Explain the authority of the Sunnah compared to the authority of the Quran as a source of guidance.
- Ability to explain how the Sunnah was recorded and preserved from the time of the Prophet (peace be upon him) until now.
- Abilityto explain how the Sunnah is a source of Aqeedah and its relationship with Analogy (Qiyas)
- Explain the Sunnah in relation to the different schools of thought.
- Describe with proof, the rulings concerning those who reject the Sunnah.
- Ability to explain how the Sunnah has been a source of Islamic civilization as a caller for tolerance, open-mindedness, virtues, discipline, cleanliness, and mercy toward Allah’s creatures.
The Meanings of the Word “Sunnah” and “Hadith”
Proofs Establishing the Authority and Importance of the Sunnah
The Roles of the Messenger salla Allahu ‘alai hi wa salaam
The Authority of the Sunnah vis-a-vis the Qur’an
Allah’s Preservation of the Sunnah
The Ruling Concerning One Who Rejects the Sunnah
The Way of the Sunnah is the Way of Islam
The Hadeeth Is Proof Itself In Belief & Laws By Sh. Nasir A-Deen Al-Albaanee
The Sunnah: A Source of Civilization By Dr. Yusuf Qaradawy
Additional on-line Readings:
The links below are provided as a convenience for the students; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by Guidance College of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation or organization or individual. Guidance College has no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.
b) Islamic City
Grading and Evaluation:
- Minimum passing grade 70%
- Weekly Assignments: 30% (10 assignments, 3% each)
- Attendance: 10%
- Mid-Term exam: 10%
- Final exam: 10%
- Oral exam: 20%
- Research paper: 20%
Guidelines for Research Paper:
1- A part of the course requirements is to submit a research paper, except for certain courses.
2- The chosen topic must be relevant to the course and approved by the Instructor.
3- Joint project / research is allowed, up to 3 students, and upon the instructor’s approval.
4- The paper must meet the following requirements:
- Consider either MLA or APA guides for writing research papers
- Follow the standard research paper structure with a Table of Contents, Abstract or Executive Summary, Introduction, Main Body, Conclusion, List of Reference
- The Main Body should be organized into logical chapters and paragraphs
- When quoting Hadeeth, a notation indicating its authenticity must be clearly
E-Library: Please log in with your user ID & password
- If sending emails directly to the Instructor, please include appropriate label in the subject line (Action Required/Info/Admin) and allow up to 3 working days for reply.
- Limit telephone communication with the Instructor to the office hours only.
- When leaving a voicemail, please clearly state your name, course code, and contact number.
Log in Instructions:
To attend live – online lectures (on their scheduled time):
Access the course on-line by logging into Online School, accessible from
You will need a user name and password to:
- View the recorded lectures if you missed the live online ones.
- Interact with your teacher and classmates.
- Upload and submit your assignments, research papers, and exams.
- View your grades.
- All attempt must be made to submit assignments by the agreed due dates. Late submissions will be penalized.
- Your work will be checked and graded on weekly basis, in sha Allah.
Guidance College shall be one of the top well-recognized universities in the United States that offers graduate and undergraduate degrees in specialized Islamic fields aiming at preparing moral and well-knowledgeable leaders who provide research-based Islamic alternatives that enable the Muslims to contribute to the success of their country.
Guidance College is the place where students gain their undergraduate degrees in authentic and professional specialized Islamic knowledge that recognizes modern-time realities and allows them to examine different branches of knowledge from an authentic Islamic perspective which enables them to think ethically, logically, analytically, and critically while making responsible and moral decisions aiming at improving the quality of life for all inhabitants of the earth with a full understanding and appreciation of the cultural and human differences.