HAD101 INTRODUCTION TO SUNNAH
This course provides a basic understanding of the concept of Sunnah, or the Prophetic speeches, practice, and lifestyle which encompasses both the Prophetic sayings and traditions, placing the Sunnah in the proper perspective as a source of legislation. The course also provides an appreciation of the Sunnah as the driving force behind establishment of the Islamic civilization.
Course Code: HAD101
Credit hours: 3
- Articulate the respective meanings and usages of Sunnah and Hadith, according to scholars of Fiqh, Aqeedah, Hadeeth, and Usoul (Foundation of Fiqh)
- Ability to explain the importance of the Sunnah as the second source of Sharia, and give proofs establishing its authority from Quranic texts and Prophetic statements.
- Provide examples and proofs on the importance of hadith in understanding the Quran.
- Analyze how the different roles of Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) indicate the necessity of following the Sunnah.
- Explain the authority of the Sunnah compared to the authority of the Quran as a source of guidance.
- Ability to explain how the Sunnah was recorded and preserved from the time of the Prophet (peace be upon him) until now.
- Abilityto explain how the Sunnah is a source of Aqeedah and its relationship with Analogy (Qiyas)
- Explain the Sunnah in relation to the different schools of thought.
- Describe with proof, the rulings concerning those who reject the Sunnah.
- Ability to explain how the Sunnah has been a source of Islamic civilization as a caller for tolerance, open-mindedness, virtues, discipline, cleanliness, and mercy toward Allah’s creatures.
The Meanings of the Word “Sunnah” and “Hadith”
Proofs Establishing the Authority and Importance of the Sunnah
The Roles of the Messenger salla Allahu ‘alai hi wa salaam
The Authority of the Sunnah vis-a-vis the Qur’an
Allah’s Preservation of the Sunnah
The Ruling Concerning One Who Rejects the Sunnah
The Way of the Sunnah is the Way of Islam