HAD101 INTRODUCTION TO SUNNAH
This course will introduce students to the terminologies used in the science of Hadith. The classifications of the various types of hadith will be studied, and students will learn which hadiths are accepted or rejected according to this science. This will include the study of the types of chains of transmission, the types of narrators, and the wordings using in indicating how the hadith was transmitted. This course will also cover the history of hadith preservation, and the authority of the sunnah in Islam.
Course Code: HAD101
Credit hours: 3
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- explain what a Hadith is and what are its main components.
- demonstrate understanding of the authority and importance of the Sunnah.
- demonstrate understanding of the history of hadith preservation.
- identify the conditions for an authentic hadith.
- identify the types of accepted and weak narrations.
- demonstrate understanding of the state of narrators in hadith literature.
- identify the categories of hadith transmission: multiple attestation vs. singular attestation.
- demonstrate an appreciation for the preservation of the Prophetic teachings.
- identify the main books and scholars of hadith.
The Meanings of the Word “Sunnah” and “Hadith”
Proofs Establishing the Authority and Importance of the Sunnah
The Roles of the Messenger salla Allahu ‘alai hi wa salaam
The Authority of the Sunnah vis-a-vis the Qur’an
Allah’s Preservation of the Sunnah
The Ruling Concerning One Who Rejects the Sunnah
The Way of the Sunnah is the Way of Islam