SOC204 SELF DEVELOPMENT
This course focuses on self-development. Students learn the importance of purifying the soul, softening the heart, strengthening the relationship between the servant and his Lord, and increasing one’s faith. It encourages students to examine and appreciate the deep meanings behind acts of worship, learn how to transform worldly acts into acts of worship, acknowledge the magnitude of good character in being a pious Muslim, and master the etiquette of remembering Allah SWT and attaining His pleasure.
Course Code: SOC204
Credit hours: 3
- To develop a solid structure and framework for one’s religious devotion.
- To discuss modern challenges to spiritual development.
- To understand the nature of our souls and the entry points of the devil.
- To understand the nature of the devil and the common methods he employs.
- To study and assess the matters that corrupt the heart and the matters that contribute to its revival.
- To discuss the nuances of the pillars of one’s journey to Allah.
- To fuse between the inner and outer dimensions of faith (Knowledge, spirituality and character)
- To shed light upon the inner dimensions of the acts of worship.
- To discuss matters relevant to belief in the unseen.
- To research one of the aspects of spiritual development and the way it draws relevance to religiosity.
- Virtues of Spiritual Development
- Understanding the Soul
- Wisdom Behind Divine Trials
- Consequences of Sins
- Spiritual Exercise
- Pillars of the Spiritual Journey
- Repentance and Spiritual Awakening
- Accountability and Reflection
- Sacrifice and Submission
- Spirituality and Character
- Patience and Gratitude
- Ostentation and Seeking Repute
- Arrogance and Conceit
- Envy and Greed
- Fear and Hope
- Toward a Healthy Relationship with the Qur’an
- Dhikr and Supplication
- Death and the Afterlife