The grading system consists of twelve basic grades, A, A-, B+, B, B-,C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, and F. The grade of A denotes exceptional accomplishment; B, superior; C, average; D, inferior; F, failure. Other marks are I, incomplete; W, withdrawal; R, thesis in progress; P, pass; N, no-credit; S, satisfactory; U, unsatisfactory; AUD, audited course; WAU, withdrawal from audited course.

When a requirement of a course has not been completed for reasons acceptable to the instructor and the rest of the academic work is passing, a report of I (incomplete) may be made and additional time granted. The I is only granted at the discretion of the instructor. The instructor must submit the grade the student will earn if the missing work is not completed. That alternate grade will become the default grade if the missing work is not completed. The instructor documents the deficiency and the deadline for completing the missing work. A record of the deficiency shall be kept on file in the unit or department office. The allotted time awarded shall not exceed one calendar year except by petition or the time of the degree conferral, whichever comes first. To remove the I grade, the student must complete the deficiency within the allotted time and the instructor will then submit the appropriate grade. If the student fails to complete the work within the allotted time, the Registrar’s Office will automatically change the I grade on the student’s record to the alternate grade submitted by the instructor at the time the I was given. The alternate grade will be included in the grade point average. Under no circumstances shall a student who earns an A–F grade or an N or U grade have his or her grade changed retroactively to an I grade.

An instructor may move to correct a grade by filing a Change of Grade in the Registrar’s Office. Grade changes for students of a permanently separated instructor will be managed by the department chair of the course involved. Upon permanent separation from the University an instructor’s change of grade will not be accepted by the Office of the Registrar. The Office of the Registrar will routinely review grade changes. A student may petition via the Office of the Registrar for an extension of the one calendar year deadline with the concurrence of the faculty. An approved petition will grant an extension of a single additional term, with a maximum of three total extensions being possible. An approved petition for an extension of time to remove an incomplete will be voided at the time of degree conferral.

Grade Points

Grade points are computed on the basis of:

  • 4 points for each credit of A grade
  • 3.0 for each credit of B grade
  • 2.0 for each credit of C grade
  • 1.0 for each credit of D grade
  • 0 for each credit of F

Marks of I, W, P, N, R, S, U, AUD, and WAU are disregarded in the computation of points. The grade point average (GPA) is the quotient of total points divided by total credits; total credits are the number of term credits in which grades A, B, C, D, and F are received. Thus a person receiving 1 credit of A, 2 credits of B, 3 credits of C, 4 credits of D, 5 credits of F would have 20 grade points (1 x 4 plus 2 x 3 plus 3 x 2 plus 4 x 1 plus 5 x 0). The grade point average would be 20 (grade points) divided by 15 (credits) equals 1.33. A “C” average on 15 credits attempted would require 30 grade points; if the student has 20 points, he or she is 10 grade points deficient