QUR323 ANALYTICAL INTERPRETATION OF SURATUL-TAWBAH
This course goes over an analytical interpretation of Suratul-Tawbah of the Holy Qur’an based on classical and contemporary works. Attention will be given to the major themes covered within the Surah, as well as the historical context of the verses, their reasons for revelation, and the relevant Prophetic narrations (Ahadeeth) that further clarify their meanings.
Course Code: QUR323
Credit hours: 3
- Examine the main themes of Surat at-Tawbah based on classical and contemporary works and present them in video presentations, highlighting its lessons, connection between the themes, and offer solutions based on similar trials today.
- Write an essay highlighting the meanings of Allah’s words in Surat at-Tawbah and on the methodology of scholars of Tafseer who interpreted Allah’s Words in the Quran.
- Dispute the allegations against Islam through role play between the instructor and other students, developing and acknowledging various ways of calling non-Muslims to Islam through evidence, reasoning, and wisdom.
- List some of the legislative verses in Surat at-Tawbah, with its historical context and reason of revelation
- Verbally explain, in front of their peers, the verses related to Jihad in proper historical context while refuting terrorist acts with proof.
- Time of revelation, and reasons behind the revelation.
- Different kinds of people in Madinah.
- Finalizing the relationship between Muslims and others.
- Coexistence of various religions in the same community.
- Legislative verses in the Surah.
- Legitimate Jihad verse Terrorist Activities.
Tafseer Ibn Kathir
Handouts presented by the instructor.
Additional On-line Readings:
The links below are provided as a convenience for the students; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by Guidance College of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation or organization or individual. Guidance College has no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.
Usool Al-Tafsir By Dr.Bilal Philips
Grading and Evaluation:
- Minimum passing grade 70%
- Weekly Assignments: 30% (10 assignments, 3% each)
- Attendance: 10%
- Mid-Term exam: 10%
- Final exam: 10%
- Oral exam: 20%
- Research paper: 20%
Guidelines for Research Paper:
1- A part of the course requirements is to submit a research paper, except for certain courses.
2- The chosen topic must be relevant to the course and approved by the Instructor.
3- Joint project / research is allowed, up to 3 students, and upon the instructor’s approval.
4- The paper must meet the following requirements:
- Consider either MLA or APA guides for writing research papers
- Follow the standard research paper structure with a Table of Contents, Abstract or Executive Summary, Introduction, Main Body, Conclusion, List of Reference
- The Main Body should be organized into logical chapters and paragraphs
- When quoting Hadeeth, a notation indicating its authenticity must be clearly
E-Library: Please log in with your user ID & password
- If sending emails directly to the Instructor, please include appropriate label in the subject line (Action Required/Info/Admin) and allow up to 3 working days for reply.
- Limit telephone communication with the Instructor to the office hours only.
- When leaving a voicemail, please clearly state your name, course code, and contact number.
Log in Instructions:
To attend live – online lectures (on their scheduled time):
Access the course on-line by logging into Online School, accessible from
You will need a user name and password to:
- View the recorded lectures if you missed the live online ones.
- Interact with your teacher and classmates.
- Upload and submit your assignments, research papers, and exams.
- View your grades.
- All attempt must be made to submit assignments by the agreed due dates. Late submissions will be penalized.
- Your work will be checked and graded on weekly basis, in sha Allah.
Guidance College shall be one of the top well-recognized universities in the United States that offers graduate and undergraduate degrees in specialized Islamic fields aiming at preparing moral and well-knowledgeable leaders who provide research-based Islamic alternatives that enable the Muslims to contribute to the success of their country.
Guidance College is the place where students gain their undergraduate degrees in authentic and professional specialized Islamic knowledge that recognizes modern-time realities and allows them to examine different branches of knowledge from an authentic Islamic perspective which enables them to think ethically, logically, analytically, and critically while making responsible and moral decisions aiming at improving the quality of life for all inhabitants of the earth with a full understanding and appreciation of the cultural and human differences.