FIQ332 MUSLIM FAMILY LAW 2 (INHERITANCE & WILL)
This course focuses muslim family law. Student learn the basic concepts of the Islamic Inheritance Law, principal elements of asset distribution and the key features of an Islamic will. The technical aspects of writing a will, maintaining proper documentation, and executing the last will and testament of an individual will be covered. The significance and wisdom underpinning the Islamic distribution of inheritance will be discussed together with several relevant case studies that require application of basic formulas for asset division among the legal inheritors.
Course Code: FIQ332
Credit hours: 3
Pre-Requisites: 12 credit hours of FIQH courses
- Write an essay, citing proof from the Quran, on the definition and rulings of inheritance according to Islamic law, defining the primary heirs and their shares, secondary heirs and their criteria of inheritance, inheritance of other relatives.
- Present with a case study and present the correct share distribution, and other scenarios and technical difficulties of calculating inheritance
- Form and prepare one’s last will and testament
- Appreciate and verbalize the the fairness and wisdom of the Islamic inheritance law
- State the differences between the Islamic law of inheritance with the applicable laws in the United States.
- Ruling on Inheritance
- Background & Definitions
- Primary Heirs and Their Shares
- Secondary Heirs and Criteria of Inheriting
- Inheritance of Other Relatives
- Other Scenarios and Technical Details of Calculating Inheritance
- Share Distribution &Examples
- Rules of the Islamic Bequest
Islamic Inheritance Law by Mohamad Razi
Additional On-line Readings:
The links below are provided as a convenience for the students; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by Guidance College of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation or organization or individual. Guidance College has no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.
Grading and Evaluation:
- Minimum passing grade 70%
- Weekly Assignments: 30% (10 assignments, 3% each)
- Attendance: 10%
- Mid-Term exam: 10%
- Final exam: 10%
- Oral exam: 20%
- Research paper: 20%
Guidelines for Research Paper:
1- A part of the course requirements is to submit a research paper, except for certain courses.
2- The chosen topic must be relevant to the course and approved by the Instructor.
3- Joint project / research is allowed, up to 3 students, and upon the instructor’s approval.
4- The paper must meet the following requirements:
- Consider either MLA or APA guides for writing research papers
- Follow the standard research paper structure with a Table of Contents, Abstract or Executive Summary, Introduction, Main Body, Conclusion, List of Reference
- The Main Body should be organized into logical chapters and paragraphs
- When quoting Hadeeth, a notation indicating its authenticity must be clearly
E-Library: Please log in with your user ID & password
- If sending emails directly to the Instructor, please include appropriate label in the subject line (Action Required/Info/Admin) and allow up to 3 working days for reply.
- Limit telephone communication with the Instructor to the office hours only.
- When leaving a voicemail, please clearly state your name, course code, and contact number.
Log in Instructions:
To attend live – online lectures (on their scheduled time):
Access the course on-line by logging into Online School, accessible from
You will need a user name and password to:
- View the recorded lectures if you missed the live online ones.
- Interact with your teacher and classmates.
- Upload and submit your assignments, research papers, and exams.
- View your grades.
- All attempt must be made to submit assignments by the agreed due dates. Late submissions will be penalized.
- Your work will be checked and graded on weekly basis, in sha Allah.
Guidance College shall be one of the top well-recognized universities in the United States that offers graduate and undergraduate degrees in specialized Islamic fields aiming at preparing moral and well-knowledgeable leaders who provide research-based Islamic alternatives that enable the Muslims to contribute to the success of their country.
Guidance College is the place where students gain their undergraduate degrees in authentic and professional specialized Islamic knowledge that recognizes modern-time realities and allows them to examine different branches of knowledge from an authentic Islamic perspective which enables them to think ethically, logically, analytically, and critically while making responsible and moral decisions aiming at improving the quality of life for all inhabitants of the earth with a full understanding and appreciation of the cultural and human differences.