FIQ471 CONTEMPORARY FIQH ISSUES
This course is a good exercise for senior students on how to explore contemporary Fiqh issues and how scholars derive Fiqh rules for these new matters. Different contemporary issues related to interfaith, investment, mortgage, medical treatment, family, new Muslims, civic and political engagement, careers, food,… etc and many more will be discussed in depth, along with some of the Fiqh maxims used by scholars to derive rules for these contemporary matters.
Course Code: FIQ471
Credit hours: 3
Pre-Requisites: FIQ452 & FIQ461
- Students will be able to define contemporary Fiqh issues.
- Students will be able to identify the Fiqh maxims that scholars usually use to extract rules.
- Students will be able to write down 10 different contemporary issues that American Muslims face.
- Students will differentiate between classical and contemporary rules.
- Students will state the criteria required for any Fiqh issue to be considered as (contemporary) one.
- Students will be able to write down detailed rules related to business, food, family, medicine, and new Muslims.
- Students will distinguish between the default rule and the exemption related to contemporary matters.
- Students will write an essay describing the new challenges Muslim youth are facing in the US.
- Students will be able to identify what is fixed and what is variable in the Fiqh rules.
- Family Related Matters
- Coexistence Between Civilizations.
- Civic and Political Engagement.
- Careers Between Permissibility and Prohibition.
- Youth Related Issues.
- Islamic Arbitration, Guidelines and Procesures.
- Food and Medicine.
- Women Related Issues.
- Islamic Mortgage Companies.
- Islamic Centers’ Related Matters.
- Da’wah and Outreach Issues.
- New Muslims’ Related Issues.