MAT101 COLLEGE ALGEBRA
This course goes over fundamentals of college algebra. A detailed study of: quadratic equations, inequalities, Polynomial, rational, logarithmic, and exponential functions; systems of equations; matrices; and determinants.
Course Code: MAT101
Credit hours: 3
Learning Objectives & Outline:
- Students will solve Quadratic Equations in one variable by the method of factoring, square root property, completing the square and the quadratic formula.
- Students will solve radical equations, fractional equations, and equations of quadratic form.
- Students will solve linear inequalities and linear equations involving absolute value, state the solution in interval notation, and graph the solution.
- Students will solve non-linear (quadratic and rational) inequalities, state the solution in interval notation, and graph the solution.
- Students will solve exponential and logarithmic equations.
- Students will solve systems of linear and nonlinear in two variables.
- Students will find the distance and midpoint between two points in the Cartesian Plane.
- Students will recognize the equation of a straight line, graph the equation of a straight line, find the slope and intercepts of a line, know the relationship between the slopes of parallel and perpendicular lines, and be able to determine the equation of a line
- Students will graph linear functions, quadratic functions, piecewise-defined functions, absolute value functions, polynomial functions, rational functions, exponential functions, and logarithmic functions.
- Students will understand vertical and horizontal shifts, stretching, shrinking, and reflections of graphs of functions.
- Students will recognize the equation of a circle, sketch the graph of a circle, and find the equation of a circle.
- Students will determine the rational zeros of a polynomial.
- Students will apply the definition of a function, determine the domain and range of a function, evaluate expressions involving functional notation, simplify expressions involving the algebra of functions, graph functions by plotting points, use the definition
- Students will understand the inverse relationship between the exponential and logarithmic functions.
- Students will perform operations with matrices.
- Students will solve and apply systems of linear equations using matrices.