QUR101 INTRODUCTION TO QURAN AND ITS SCIENCES
This course discusses the definition of the Quran and the different branches of its sciences. Topics include the context of revelation, the method of collection and compilation, miracles, the distinction between the clear and the allegorical verses, guidelines for proper interpretation, different recitation styles, the Makkee and Madanee verses, the concept of abrogation, and other sciences pertaining to the Holy Quran.
Course Code: QUR101
Credit hours: 3
- Verbally state the definition of the Quran and its Sciences, it’s importance and different methods of revelation (Wahy).
- Students will be able to list the differences between Makkee and Madanee verses, how they were labeled and the significance of that labeling.
- Write an essay highlighting how the Quran was compiled, the different recitations (Qira’aat), some of the reasons of revelations, the Clear and Unclear verses, and explain abrogation in the Quran with examples.
- Verbally summarize the evolution of Tafseer, and its various schools.
- Present a video or oral presentation, critically examining and refuting the objections raised by some outsiders in regard to the authority and authenticity of the Quran, using historical, scientific and miraculous proofs of the Quran.
- Definition of the Quran and its Sciences.
- Revelation (Wah’y) and its different methods.
- Makkee and Madanee verses.
- Causes of Revelation.
- Compilation of the Quran.
- Different Recitations’ styles (Qira’aat).
- Clear and Unclear verses.
- Abrogation in the Quran.
- Miraculous nature and elements.
- Interpretation (Tafseer).
- Methodology on Translating
- Quran and Orientalists.