QUR221 ANALYTICAL INTERPRETATION OF QURAN 1
This course covers the analytical interpretation of Quran. We begin with Surat Al-Baqarah. This analytical approach breaks down the chapter into major themes. Relationships among these themes will be explored and examined in the light of reasons of revelation and the Sirah of Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) whenever possible. This approach will be supported by understanding the verses based on classical and traditional methods of interpretation. Examples of legislative verses and how they are interpreted will be studied also. The two approaches, the modern analytical and the traditional classical, will go hand in hand in analyzing and understanding the different parts of Surat Al-Baqarah.
Course Code: QUR221
Credit hours: 3
- Understand the interpretation of Surat Al-Baqarah, developing skills used in the analytical interpretation of the Quran, and practice the application of methods through short class presentations.
- Examine the different themes of Surat al-Baqarah and present them in short essays and video presentations.
- Write an essay comparing and contrasting the classical methods of interpretation to the analytical method.
- Practice how to use the classical interpretation to guide the analytical interpretation through instructor led assignments.
- Provide examples of how the Seerah plays an important role in understanding the Quran.
- List some of the legislative verses in Surat al-Baqarah, with its historical context and reason of revelation.
- Time of revelation, and reasons behind the revelation.
- Categories of people.
- Story of Moses and the Israelites.
- “Building a community” is the main theme of the Surah.
- Legislative verses in the Surah.