SOC402 MARRIAGE COUNSELING & MEDIATION
This is the first time that an Islamic university in the United Sates to include such studying course and to make it part of its curriculum. This course is an attempt to provide a concise, yet comprehensive overview of many issues that Currently affect family counseling and mediation practice. This course will introduce our response to many social/family problems and challenges that our Muslim community’ members are facing within their families. With such challenges, this course will represent our response to these challenges thru a specific curriculum of basic steps to help people to solve their problems instead of walking on litigation path.
Course Code: SOC402
Credit hours: 3
It is not surprisingly, the last three decades brought to us many well recognized social developments during the growth of our Muslim communities in United States. Such growth was very encouraging, constructive and valuable generally to all Imams but more specific as well as individuals learning innovative and creative ways to solve people problems. But along with that progress we have also come concerns and unease. Like any maturity in new progress, “Growing Pains” have emerged and worth noting.
- Write down the core concepts of negotiation, its nature and conflict definitions as well as its levels.
- Find and utilize various mediation resources through the references, cases and experience at the end of the semester.
- Verbally express the reasons of negotiation and explain how mediation and counseling will not be successful without negotiation and communication.
- Observe and analyze different forms verbal and non–verbal communication.
- List the definition of mediation, its styles, stages, the value of and mediator qualifications with my advice with each.
- Write an essay on how does mediation works, what types of cases apply, mediation services available, and the qualifications of a mediator.
- Conduct research about a specific marriage issue and present their analysis to their peers on the civil arbitration utilized, the Islamic Arbitration (if any), the differences between both and their possible contributions.
- Alternative Dispute resolution (ADR)
- Civil Mediation
- Islamic Arbitration
- Comparison study of all issues previously were mentioned.